The Vision of the Civil and Environmental Engineering Department supports the vision of the College of Engineering and UNC Charlotte as a comprehensive department that is one of the largest in the U.S. in terms of student graduation, faculty, and facilities. The department’s strategic research areas are internationally recognized by the quality of scholarly output, and the service activities advance initiatives and public policy at all levels.
Our Mission & Core Values
The Mission of the Civil and Environmental Engineering Department supports the mission of the College of Engineering and UNC Charlotte by delivering bachelors, masters, and doctoral programs in a research intensive environment that provides students with the opportunity to develop state-of-the-art technical skills, a practice-ready orientation, and extraordinary character. The urban location in Charlotte is leveraged to provide students and faculty with unique opportunities in all aspects of civil and environmental engineering with a particular emphasis on energy and sustainability.
Our Core Values
The core values of the Civil and Environmental Engineering Department support the values of the College of Engineering and UNC Charlotte by encouraging behavior in faculty, staff, and students that is ethical, collegial, and productive. These attributes manifest in:
- teaching that recognizes multiple learning styles and pathways to success, that values all students including adults and veterans, and that holds faculty, staff, and students accountable;
- research that is basic and applied, that is based on long-term relationships with partners and sponsors, that is large in scale and field-relevant in nature, and that values scholarship; and
- service that contributes to public discourse and policy through constructive opinions, that leads to expertise on committees, teams, and panels in the U.S. and abroad, and that engages the local engineering community in promoting engineering licensure.
- Click here to view UNC Charlotte Mission.
- Click here to view the vision and mission statement for College of Engineering.